AUGUST 2011 MEETING
Wednesday, August 10, 2011 (1.0 PDH)
PRESENTATION (1.0 PDH)
An Introduction to Roadbond EN 1 Soil Stabilizer
Speaker: Jacob Hutchings, Roadbond Service Co., P.O. Box 549, Tolar, Texas 76476, Phone: 800-305-6190
Jacob Hutchings is a product representative for Roadbond Service Co. with 10 years of experience in the construction industry specializing in soil stabilization technology.
He is currently working to educate contractors, engineers and municipalities about the latest soil stabilization techniques.
Roadbond EN 1 is an eco-friendly soil stabilizer that significantly improves the strength and load-bearing capacity of clay sub grade soil, crushed stone material and many classes of local gravel and caliches material.
Roadbond EN 1 also reduces the carbon-footprint of the project by replacingor reducing the need for conventional calcined stabilizers. It promotes a sustainable environment in the areas that matter most: energy savings, reduced water usage, reduced CO2 emissions and stewardship of resources.
To an audience of about 85 at the HESS Club, Mr. Hutchings presented information relative to soil stabilization. Roadbond EN 1 is a proprietary product so the exact formulation was not presented however; sulfuric acid is a major component of the product. Mr. Hutchings presented data demonstrating the effectiveness of Roadbond EN 1 as an eco-friendly soil stabilizer that significantly improves the strength and load-bearing capacity of clay subgrade soil, crushed stone material and many classes of local gravel and caliche materials. Roadbond EN 1 was also shown to reduce the carbon-footprint of projects by replacing or reducing the need for conventional calcined stabilizers. It promotes a sustainable environment in the areas that matter most: energy savings, reduced water usage, reduced CO2 emissions and stewardship of resources.
Roadbond EN 1 is most suited for paving work including roads and parking lots. It is formulated to be a competitor to lime stabilization and other methods of soil stabilization. The information presented showed many positive and excellent characteristics. Some of those characteristics and features include:
- Installs in one day with no remix or setup. Roadbond EN 1 is placed, mixed, compacted, and finished in a single operation
- Can provide a working table for construction in adverse weather prior to paving
- Less expensive than lime. A 5 gallon pail of Roadbond EN 1 replaces 12 tons of lime
- Environmentally safe
- Demands less water than lime during installation. Comparisons have shown Roadbond EN 1 uses 675% less water per volume or soil treated.
- May be used with cement stabilization to reduce cement volume
- May be used with fly ash and recycled material
- Improves soil strength while reducing swell and permeability
- Thousands of projects completed successfully including field trials, lab tests, and general use in various climates, soil types, traffic loads and construction methods.
More information can be found at the Roadbond EN 1 website: http://www.roadbondsoil.com/ or by contacting Mr. Hutchings at Jacob@Roadbondsoil.com